In 1955, a group of mainly Irish and British women under the chair of Mrs. MacDonald established an organisation called the Corona Women’s Society. The Society’s main aim was to establish suitable schools based on the British educational model. These schools were open to children of all races.
The Society opened its first school, the Corona Day Nursery in March 1955 at its headquarters, located at 35, First Avenue, Ikoyi, now 35, Mobolaji Johnson Avenue. The school started with five children but by the end of that academic session, the number of the children had increased to eighteen. The school is still located at First Avenue Ikoyi and has six classes and about one hundred and twenty children.
A few months later in 1955, Corona School Ikoyi located at 6, Mekunwen Road, Ikoyi was established.
In 1956, the society got the Masonic Order’s Lodge at Ebute Metta, Lagos as a loan and a second school opened with twenty-eight children. This school later moved to the Military Hospital compound in Yaba.
M/S Elder Dempster loaned the society a building at
In 1958/1959, the Corona Women’s Society decided to transfer its assets to a trust council and thus the registration of the Corona Schools’ Trust Council as a not-for-profit organisation with twenty members, among who were three Trustees –Sir Adetokunbo Ademola, Lady Alakija and R.P. Fenton, Esq. From then on, the Corona Women’s Society ceased to administer the schools. One of the three original Trustees – Lady Alakija is still a serving Trustee. Right from incorporation, membership has been voluntary and members not paid for their services.
In 1960, Chief (Mrs.) Nora Majekodunmi became the first Executive Chairman of Corona Schools’ Trust Council, a position she held for thirty years. Her tenure was marked with many notable achievements and it was under her leadership that the Trust Council expanded to six schools. She also laid the groundwork for the secondary school.
In 1967, during the Civil War, the Military Government took over the buildings of the Yaba School, which was located within its Military Hospital Compound. The Trust Council had to move the school to a temporary location at the White House at 386, Herbert Macaulay Street, Yaba. The school finally moved to its permanent site in Gbagada in 1974.
In 1967, the fourth Corona School at Victoria Island opened at its permanent location at Waziri Ibrahim Road.
One of Nigeria’s greatest artists designed the Corona School logo created from the letters C and S, the Late Erhabor Emokpae in the early seventies. The logo is on letterheads, school properties, and on the red and white squares of the school uniforms.
[A few years later, another Nursery and Primary school opened at Agbara Estate, Ogun State in 1988. The Agbara School closed down in 1995 due to dwindling population on the Estate.
Ambassador Alakija became the Chairman when Chief Mrs. Nora Majekodunmi retired in 1990. Ambassador Alakija retired as Chairman in 1994 but continues to serve as a Trustee and has been the President of the Board of Trustees for a number of years.
A notable achievement during Ambassador Alakija’s Chairmanship was the establishment of the Corona Secondary School in 1992, at Agbara Estate, Ogun State. The school is now in its thirteenth year.
Chief (Mrs.) Nora Majekodunmi died on Wednesday, 9th July 1997. Apart from the befitting memorial service held by the Trust Council, the Council instituted the Nora Majekodunmi Scholarship award. The awards go to children in both the primary and secondary school.
In 1995, Chief (Mrs.) Fowler became the Chairman of the Trust Council after Ambassador Alakija’s retirement. During her tenure, she oversaw the appointment of the first Executive Director, the management of the Mobil School in Eket and the expansion of the secondary school.
Chief Majekodunmi was the only Chairman to serve in an executive capacity and in 1995, the Trust Council appointed an Executive Director, Ms. Carmen Latty to replace the Administrative Secretary, a position held by several achievement oriented persons, the last of whom was Mrs. Williams. Ms. Latty worked with the Chairman, Chief (Mrs.) Fowler during which period, a number of notable achievements were recorded. Ms. Latty resigned in 2001.
In 1994, Mobil Oil Company approached the Trust Council to manage its nursery and primary school in Eket, Akwa Ibom State. This arrangement went on successfully for a number of years until Corona Schools’ Trust Council handed over the school to Mobil. The relationship with Mobil remains mutually agreeable.
With the retirement of Mrs. Fowler in 2001, Professor Muriel Oyediran became the Chairman. In the period since she assumed office, the focus of the Trust Council has been:
- The provision of world-class education in all the schools. Some of the steps taken include:
- Development of a new Corona Curriculum that is inquiry and project based and that will build skills relevant to the 21st century. This curriculum, developed in-house, has been widely acclaimed.
- Extensive use of ICT in instructions and running the schools management, accounting and facilities. The Corona Schools are the first school in Nigeria to sign a User License with Microsoft.
- Extensive training of teachers, both locally and abroad
- Provision of ultra-modern libraries, school furniture, laboratories and resource centres
- Provision of facilities for extra-curricular and sporting activities.
- Development of a professional and corporate Central Office.
- Preparation of a new constitution.
- Continued improvement of facilities in all the schools.
In 2002, the Trust Council appointed a new management team that had been working with the Chairman in meeting the goals of world-class education coupled with prudent management of resources. These include Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo (Executive Director), Mrs. Lara Segun (Educational Administrator) and Mrs. Funto Igun (Finance Controller).
The year 2003 saw the inauguration of the PTA and parents inclusion in the CSTC for the first time. The CSTC relocated to its present site- 72, Raymond Njoku Street, SW Ikoyi, Lagos.
In 2005, the Trust Council celebrated 50 years of Corona excellence
2009, Professor Muriel Oyediran retired as Chairman of CSTC and Mr Adedotun Sulaiman, a renowned Management Consultant and Chairman of many organisations in the country was elected Chairman. He was the Treasurer for the Council before his election as Chairman
2010, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo who had led the Executive Management team since 2002 retired as the Executive Director. Mrs. Lara Segun, the Educational Administrator also retired shortly after. A new Management team headed by Mrs. Olufunto Igun as Executive Director and Mrs. Maureen Ihonor as Education Administrator took over the affairs of the Council.